If you are asking if you can rifle hunt deer, the answer is no; however, you can hunt deer with a long bow and arrow, recurve bow, compound bow or composite bow. Crossbows are illegal in the State of Wisconsin, with an exception for handicapped people.
A person with a felony conviction is legally able to purchase a hunting license in the State of Wisconsin even though they cannot hunt with a gun, nor tag a deer, bear or other game that has been killed with a gun.
More short hunting answers:
- Can a convicted felon buy a hunting license? Yes.
- Can a convicted felon possess a rifle, handgun or muzzleloader? No.
- Can a convicted felon join a hunting group? No.
- Can a convicted felon use a bow and arrow to hunt? Yes.
- Can a convicted felon hunt? Yes, so long as he or she does not possess a firearm to do so.
- Can a convicted felon hunt deer? Yes, but not with a firearm (only with a bow & arrow).
- Can a convicted felon hunt with a compound bow? Yes, during bow & arrow season.
- Is a BB gun a firearm? No; BB guns are expressly excluded by Wisconsin legislation as firearms.
Under Wisconsin laws, it is illegal for a felon to possess a firearm, or for any person to provide a felon with a firearm. Wisconsin Statute 941.29(2) expressly prohibits any person who has previously been convicted of a felony offense in any state from possessing a firearm at any time, for any purpose, while in the state of Wisconsin.
A felon is a person who has previously been convicted of any felony offense in this or any other state. A felony conviction includes being found guilty of a felony at trial, pleading ‘guilty’ to a felony offense, and pleading ‘no contest’ to a felony charge and being found guilty of a felony. Additionally, if you plea bargained for a lesser offense, and the lesser offense was a felony, it is still a felony conviction.
A felony conviction in another state equally prohibits that felon from hunting in Wisconsin.
- Felon Possession Firearm, Wisconsin Statute 941.29(2)
- Wisconsin Hunting Laws, Rules & Regulations
- Felon Firearm Possession In Other States
- BB Guns
- Wisconsin No Firearm School Zone
Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Licenses
- Licensing Requirements
- Armed Forces Privileges
- Antlerless Deer (Bonus) Carcass Tag Availability
- Bow Hunter Safety Education Certification
- Conservation Patron License Nonresident
- Conservation Patron License Resident
- CWD Carcass Tag Agents
- DNR Service Center Locations
- Duplicate Safety Education Certificate
- Earn a Buck Prequalification
- Fishing Regulations
- Hunting and Fishing License Fees and Information (Resident)
- Hunting and Fishing License Fees and Information (Non-Resident)
- Hunting Regulations
- Hunter Safety Education Certification
- Licenses and Permits for People with Disabilities
- License Sales Locations
- Safety Education Instructor Certification
- Hunting & Trapping Seasons Dates
- Setline and Bank Pole Licenses
- Trapper Education Certification
- Trapping Information